The History of Tex-Mex Food

• 385 posts
    January 19, 2023 10:10 AM CST

How Texas’s Mexican Food Scene Became the Most Exciting in the U.S.

One of the first big cracks in the benevolent dictatorship of classic Tex-Mex came in 1973, when a widowed mother of five named Ninfa Laurenzo opened a tiny cafe inside her struggling tortilla factory in Houston’s East End. The menu wasn’t purely “interior,” but it did offer dishes such as pork with pico de gallo, avocado-tomatillo salsa, and freshly made corn tortillas. It was her introduction of fajitas, though, that created a sensation. The tacos al carbón didn’t seem that unusual—just simple strips of nicely seasoned grilled skirt steak (faja in Spanish) served with flour tortillas. But something about the food, the neighborhood, and the affable charm of “Mama” Ninfa herself created a feeding frenzy. By the time she added a second location, a thousand or more customers a day were clamoring to get a table. Texans were figuring out that there was a lot more to Mexican food than the Number One Dinner. 

This article from Texas Monthly written by Patricia Sharpe, takes you to the events and places were Tex-Mex was created and has grown to the modern Tex-Mex dishes of today.

I enjoyed reading this article, because so many of the places mentioned, I've either been through those cities, dined at those places or just have memories of local Tex-Mex restaurants that were amazing by their food and their architecture and themes.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/texas-best-interior-mexican-food/

• February 7, 2023 9:02 PM CST

So far in my travels, Florida has better Tex-Mex food than Arizona.   Texas may have the best, of course.

• 385 posts
    February 7, 2023 9:48 PM CST

Well, Texas is in between Florida and Arizona  I think Tex-Mex would be very competitive  between Florida and Texas.  Lots of history and good chefs between both states.

I have traveled all through Arizona.  Beautiful state with lots to see!  When I was in HS, my dad took my brother and I on this VERY long 3 week driving trip where we traveled through all of the western states and coastline.  It was an amazing trip to see all of the national parks, the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, and Painted Desert.

• 385 posts
    February 7, 2023 11:03 PM CST

I think the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert is in New Mexico?  Well, close to Arizona.

• 18 posts
    February 8, 2023 9:46 AM CST

Well, the closest thing we have to tex-mex here is nachos and cheese ready meal. 

mikel.

• 385 posts
    February 8, 2023 9:50 AM CST

Oh my, a nacho and cheese ready meal at that?  I guess Mexican food isn't very popular in the UK?

There's something about a crunchy taco with all of the fixings inside, that's so good. 

• 22 posts
    February 8, 2023 12:24 PM CST

I love fajitas! I cook them at home regularly with loads of salsa and sour cream! 

• 385 posts
    February 8, 2023 1:54 PM CST

Okay, @Mark Ransome.....dish your recipe for fajitas...please.  How do you season your meat?  Do you use a skillet, butter, oil, if so what oil, what seasonings?

I haven't been able to reproduce the taste of beef fajitas yet? I would be interested in your technique

This post was edited by Web Diva at February 8, 2023 1:54 PM CST
    • 22 posts
    February 9, 2023 2:08 AM CST

Ahh,

Well, ummm, I have to say, I love cooking from scratch, but when it comes to Fajitas I cheat!  It's one of those meals I can put together quickly and I a use a ready bought "Old El Paso" kit. I only have to add onions, peppers and chicken and buy some sour cream to go with them.

I use olive oil (I only use olive oil for everything!) and cook it in a wok. I haven't tried beef myself either!

Mark

• 18 posts
    February 9, 2023 5:22 AM CST

If you use beef try this method.

Get a beef joint off the bone.
    Thinly slice (about thickness of a coin) 
    Season well and let stand for a while to marinade.
    then flash fry in oil or olive oil (not extra virgin, this is used for pouring and flavouring, not cooking)
    Or you can flash fry using a small amount of water (about a tablespoon) this will create a steam effect and will keep the beef taste without tasting the oil flavour.

will cook in seconds.

then you can make your meal as normal.

This method works with chicken also.

Mikel.

• 385 posts
    February 9, 2023 9:29 AM CST
    Mark Ransome said: Ahh, Well, ummm, I have to say, I love cooking from scratch, but when it comes to Fajitas I cheat! It's one of those meals I can put together quickly and I a use a ready bought "Old El Paso" kit. I only have to add onions, peppers and chicken and buy some sour cream to go with them. I use olive oil (I only use olive oil for everything!) and cook it in a wok. I haven't tried beef myself either! Mark

Lol.....yeah, very familiar with the Old El Paso brand and somehow, never thought about the brand making it's way across the pond, go figure? We have olive oil and avocado oil. I don't have a wok and after reading your post, I realized I should probably break down and buy a wok. Stir frying would be so much more efficient that way. Thanks for your tips, great way to make fajitas!

• 385 posts
    February 9, 2023 9:36 AM CST
    Mikel Coreclark said: If you use beef try this method. Get a beef joint off the bone. Thinly slice (about thickness of a coin) Season well and let stand for a while to marinade. then flash fry in oil or olive oil (not extra virgin, this is used for pouring and flavouring, not cooking) Or you can flash fry using a small amount of water (about a tablespoon) this will create a steam effect and will keep the beef taste without tasting the oil flavour. will cook in seconds. then you can make your meal as normal. This method works with chicken also. Mikel. I am trying to imagine how this works with the flash frying, but I think I get the principle. So here's the big question ~ and that's the seasoning/marinade you use? Do you make your own or do you use a ready-made mix? Also interesting is your flash frying process, either in olive oil (not virgin olive oil) or water to make steam. Both cooking methods are new to me. Thank you for those tips!
    • 18 posts
    February 9, 2023 10:44 AM CST

hei. Marinade is what ever you choose to use.

Flash fry is good because when you slice the meat thin it cooks faster Less than 2 minutes on a very high heat, you dont need to oven bake or deep fry. Basicly its like wok frying. adding a small amount of water will create the steam or moister to stop the meat sticking to the pan. Just keep the meat moving and you cant go wrong.

The meat naturally contains juice and fats and this also will add to the cooking and keep the natural flavour sealed in.

mikel.

• 18 posts
    February 9, 2023 10:54 AM CST

When cooking with water, this will create the steam and stop the meat from sticking to the pan. Just keep the meat moving by stirring regular. Water does not flavour the meat.

Oil frying creates a hot oil base which you have to heat up first. This oil will flavour the meat and can alter the flavour of the marinade also.

So if using an olive oil just use a regular olive oil that you like the flavour of.

Extra virgin olive oil is always used as a flavouring to pour over food like a dressing. Their are lots of flavours so again choose an extra virgin olive oil you like the flavour of.

Their are many olive oil with variouse flavours, and best uses for food. Choosing the wrong olive oil can spoil a good meal.

Reccomend researching olive oil from an Italian chef or a proper Italian family or Greek. They have the best knowledge for using olive oil for the best results.

mikel.

• 22 posts
    February 9, 2023 12:20 PM CST

Using a wok is great for flash frying and is how most Chinese dishes are cooked and as Mikel say's only use a basic olive oil. I only ever use olive oil now for everything as it's suppose to be the healthiest! 

• 385 posts
    February 10, 2023 9:30 AM CST

@Mikel Coreclark, thank you for all of that detail on flash frying and marinade selection.  I haven't found a marinade (store bought) I've liked yet and my spice palette prefers Italian spices, like basil and oregano.  Next time I grocery shop, I'll add some plain olive oil and give it a try for cooking meat with it.  We also buy extra-virgin olive oil and as a rule only "dress" the meat after it's cooked with the olive oil because of the smoke point ranges in oils rule and the carcinogenic issue of cooking oils beyond their smoke point.  Not a perfect rule to follow though, something to be said about using butter to cook with too, as butter has a lower smoke point, so we try to slow cook with butter.

@Mark Ransome I don't know why I don't have a Wok?  How did I really miss that as a kitchen gadget must?  Olive oil is delicious and adds so much flavor to a meat.  I cook chicken and turkey medallions in butter and olive oil (olive oil at the end when the meat is almost ready), with basil, oregano, parsley and sea salt.  Then add jasmine rice for the side.  I also use chicken or beef broth in place of the water when I cook any rice.  Adds more nutrition to the rice, the flavor is a bit richer too, then butter and salt to finish.  I do the same with mashed potatoes by adding bone broth and butter instead of milk.  During the holidays though, my family likes the traditional mashed potatoes with cream and butter, which is the only time I skip the bone broth.

• 18 posts
    February 10, 2023 9:56 AM CST

Hei. 

Be careful about thinking olive oil is a healthier option.

Yes Olive oil is healthier however the down side is that Olive oil is high in calories (some more than others). Always allow food like joints of meat to rest and allow the olive to drain off.

When wok or flash frying, you dont need a lot,  about a dessert spoon amount is enough.
    If stir frying for example a vegetable stir fry then you only need enough to line the pan, again just a dessert spoon amount or less. Then add tiny amounts if required.

So use it sparingly. Don't cook with it like other animal oils or vegetable oils.

mikel.

• 385 posts
    February 10, 2023 6:18 PM CST

@Mikel Coreclark ~ good to know about olive oil and thanks for the olive oil measurement recommendations for both cooking meats and stir-fry.

We tend to eat more Keto with good fats, good for the brain, and overall health.