Word of the Day

• 385 posts
    April 18, 2022 6:14 PM CDT

Share your favorite words

This post was edited by Web Diva at March 15, 2024 2:57 PM CDT
    • 385 posts
    April 18, 2022 6:17 PM CDT

I enjoy language, the sound of words, especially words that have a punch or impact to them when you use them. I can't totally claim to be an advanced wordsmith but I do enjoy the challenge of learning something new everyday.

• 385 posts
    April 18, 2022 6:19 PM CDT

My first word of the day:

fiduciary (adjective)

1.  Of or relating to a duty of acting in good faith with regard to the interests of another.

2.  Of or being a trustee or trusteeship.

3.  Held in trust.

• 385 posts
    April 19, 2022 6:47 PM CDT
    Word of the Day:

acquiescence (noun)

1. Passive assent or agreement without protest.

2. The state of being acquiescent.

3. The act of acquiescing or giving tacit assent; a silent submission, or submission with apparent consent.

• 385 posts
    April 23, 2022 10:04 AM CDT
    Word of the Day:

prismatic (adjective)

1.  Of, relating to, resembling, or being a prism.

2.  Formed by refraction of light through a prism.  Used of a spectrum of light.

3.  Brilliantly colored; iridescent.
    • 385 posts
    April 23, 2022 10:45 PM CDT

Adding this excellent word, that Mike Smith shared:

dodecapolis

• 385 posts
    April 23, 2022 10:47 PM CDT

My answer to dodecopis.  Are any of these right, Mike

Mike Smith Ummmm- Alexis and I went on a search for dodecapolis and found the following: Dodecapolis was the capital city of Yag'Dhul. Yag'Dhul was a small and barren planet located in the Inner Rim. It was the homeworld of the Givin. Would that be correct https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Yag%27Dhul/Legends ~ or ~ is it Twelve cities or nations. Of several Etruscan leagues, the Dodecapolis (or "twelve cities") of the Etruscan civilization is legendary amongst Roman authors particularly Liv ~or ~ is it intense Red Wine....lol So we just went on a little treasure hunt

• 47 posts
    April 23, 2022 11:55 PM CDT

Inspired by prismatic, 

luminescent (adjective), which can be defined as, "emitting light not caused by heat.".

• 385 posts
    April 25, 2022 10:11 PM CDT

Word of the Day:

Kobayashi Maru

I'm going to go rouge on my own thread and just say, if you know this one, you don't even have to look it up.

• 385 posts
    April 27, 2022 7:26 AM CDT
    Alexis Bello said:

Inspired by prismatic, 

luminescent (adjective), which can be defined as, "emitting light not caused by heat.".

Another favorite! Made me think of highlighters and bio-luminescence.  I believe you've inspired another word of the day!!

• 385 posts
    April 27, 2022 8:08 AM CDT
    Word of the Day

Bioluminescence (noun)

1. The emission of visible light by certain living organisms, such as the firefly and various fish, marine invertebrates, fungi, and bacteria. Bioluminescence is caused by chemical reactions.
    2. a type of luminescence produced by biological or biochemical processes, such as a glowworm glow or the action of luciferase on luciferin. A well-known example is that of firefly luminescence. See also luciferin.
    3. The emission of light by a living organism (such as a firefly).

Puerto Rico- Discover their bioluminescence bays

• 385 posts
    May 1, 2022 9:47 PM CDT
    Word of the Day:

niche (noun)

nĭch, nēsh
    1. A recess in a wall, as for holding a statue or urn.
    2. A cranny, hollow, or crevice, as in rock.
    3. A situation or activity specially suited to a person's interests, abilities, or nature.

I added the pronunciations because in my household there has been some debate on the correct pronunciation. 

United States pronounces with the short "i" sound and the United Kingdom pronounces with the long "e" sound.

US nĭch

UK nēsh

• 385 posts
    May 3, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
    Word of the Day:

neurotransmitters (noun) Plural form of neurotransmitter

noo͝r″ō-trăns′mĭt-ər, -trănz′-, nyoo͝r″-
    1. A chemical substance, such as acetylcholine or dopamine, that transmits nerve impulses across a synapse.
    2. Any substance, such as acetylcholine or dopamine, responsible for sending nerve signals across a synapse between two neurons.
    3. a neurochemical that transmits nerve impulses across a synapse

Those of you that are gamers know all about the "swipe right-I won" dopamine affect

• 385 posts
    May 15, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
    Word of the Day:

integrity (noun)
    1. Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code.
    2. The state of being unimpaired; soundness.
    3. The quality or condition of being whole or undivided; completeness.
    • 385 posts
    April 15, 2023 12:49 PM CDT
    Word of the Day:

forsooth (adverb)

1. In truth; indeed.
    2. In truth; in fact; certainly; very well; -- formerly used as an expression of deference or respect, especially to woman; now used ironically or contemptuously.
    3. indeed, truthfully, really

https://www.wordnik.com/words/forsooth

• 385 posts
    October 31, 2023 12:09 PM CDT

I heard this word used recently in a video.  Of course i had to look it up😁: supercilious

1. Feeling or showing haughty disdain. synonymarrogant.
      Similar: arrogant
    2. Lofty with pride; haughty; dictatorial; overbearing; arrogant
    • 47 posts
    December 5, 2023 1:50 PM CST

I always liked using plethora in my college papers, it helped keep certain terms from becoming too repetitive by having an alternative word for the same thing. Also helped me hit the word count XD 

pleth·o·ra
    /ˈpleTHərə/
    1. 1.
      a large or excessive amount of (something).
      "a plethora of committees and subcommittees"
    • 385 posts
    December 9, 2023 9:57 AM CST

@Alexis Bello, I'd say "plethora" describes a lot and I do recognize that use in your papers, lol! 😁 Thank you for sharing a word of the day!

• 385 posts
    March 15, 2024 11:27 AM CDT

As we were watching the original Hawaii Five-0 the other day, I caught a phrase that I hadn't heard before and I looked it up.  Even though this is a "word of the day" thread, I'm good with adding phrases too as I think they fit.

Bib and Tucker- which means fine clothing or dressed exceptionally and its use dates back to 18th century.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/best-bib-and-tucker.html