TikTok

• 379 posts
    November 8, 2021 6:32 PM CST

I like to stay very informed on internet security and safety.  Today I read what the TikTok App requires for United States users.  The app takes two forms of biometric data; faceprints and voiceprints.

Do you use TikTok?  Are you okay with TikTok taking these forms of your biometrics?

• 18 posts
    November 10, 2021 11:15 AM CST

Here is some facts about TikTok that will make you think...
    (1) TikTok is a chinese product.

(2) TikTok was developed by the chinese military to gather biometric data on its citizens. (face recognition for surveillance and spy technology).
    (3) The security department is 90% managed by military personnel.
    (4) TikTok was first released as a public app in Greece as a means to test, promote the service and face recognition tests in early 2000's covertly.
    (5) ALL data gathered by TikTok goes to the chinese military for ..This includes all us civilians and military personnel that use TikTok. China are gathering so much data from around the world it is creating bigger and more pwerful data centres to store and use this information.
    very few chines civilians use tiktok unless they are part of the military or establishment in order to promote TikTok. And many Americans think that the US Government cant be trusted, Think of what the chinese government and military are doing with your biometric data ???

How about Zoom.. Have you used Zoom ?
    Zoom is created with exactly the same technology and build by the Russian Government for the same purpose.

Call me paranoid and a conspiracy theorist.

I work closely with the UK's Notional Crime Agency.
    I am not aloud to download or use TikTok or Zoom because of this technology and the ownership of TikTok and Zoom by these governments.

• 379 posts
    November 10, 2021 12:07 PM CST
    Mikel Coreclark said:

Here is some facts about TikTok that will make you think...
    (1) TikTok is a chinese product.

(2) TikTok was developed by the chinese military to gather biometric data on its citizens. (face recognition for surveillance and spy technology).
    (3) The security department is 90% managed by military personnel.
    (4) TikTok was first released as a public app in Greece as a means to test, promote the service and face recognition tests in early 2000's covertly.
    (5) ALL data gathered by TikTok goes to the chinese military for ..This includes all us civilians and military personnel that use TikTok. China are gathering so much data from around the world it is creating bigger and more pwerful data centres to store and use this information.
    very few chines civilians use tiktok unless they are part of the military or establishment in order to promote TikTok. And many Americans think that the US Government cant be trusted, Think of what the chinese government and military are doing with your biometric data ???

How about Zoom.. Have you used Zoom ?
    Zoom is created with exactly the same technology and build by the Russian Government for the same purpose.

Call me paranoid and a conspiracy theorist.

I work closely with the UK's Notional Crime Agency.
    I am not aloud to download or use TikTok or Zoom because of this technology and the ownership of TikTok and Zoom by these governments.

Exactly!  Their headquarters' are in Beijing.

Zoom?  Well, I didn't know that about Zoom.  I've only "zoomed" a few times.  

Thank you, for that insight, very helpful, and nice to know that some governments, like the UK, are looking out for their countries internet safety.

I have only kept a small presence on that other big website because I know what's behind the curtain there and it freaks me out, which was some motivation to create FR.

• 46 posts
    November 17, 2021 12:41 PM CST

I've personally never used TikTok, and especially with the request of biometric data via. faceprints and voiceprints, would prefer not to use the program. I don't think a social media of any kind should request such information, as there is no real need for it. Social media isn't designed with the purpose of any serious information, or business interactions for example, and such shouldn't require such high-level clearance to use the app. Passwords, email, etc, should be more than enough for any type of social media in my opinion. 

• 379 posts
    November 18, 2021 3:30 PM CST
    Alexis Bello said:

I've personally never used TikTok, and especially with the request of biometric data via. faceprints and voiceprints, would prefer not to use the program. I don't think a social media of any kind should request such information, as there is no real need for it. Social media isn't designed with the purpose of any serious information, or business interactions for example, and such shouldn't require such high-level clearance to use the app. Passwords, email, etc, should be more than enough for any type of social media in my opinion. 

Agreed, too much personal data to store and use for what?  Social Media websites do not need to be capturing so much personal data either, yet, if you don't provide it, you can't participate in the website. Hmm....that kind of sounds like a familiar trend....but I digress...They are using your data to optimize their advertising and more, yet they claim it's for better user experience.  Websites just need your name, and email address.

This post was edited by Web Diva at November 18, 2021 3:30 PM CST
    • 4 posts
    February 21, 2022 7:08 PM CST
    Never used ๐Ÿ˜ daughter sent me a clip of her, I said that looks kewl!
    She said donโ€™t do it mom, these people on here can be mean ๐Ÿค”
    • 379 posts
    February 21, 2022 7:27 PM CST

I believe it!  I can recall my introduction into "mean" in a kinz chat

• 379 posts
    November 27, 2022 10:54 AM CST

Rubio Calls for Ban of TikTok in U.S.

This system is appealing because the algorithm curates content that is incredibly specific to the individual. However, why is Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) and his colleague Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-WI) urging the U.S. government to ban the app in the United States?

The answer is that TikTok is owned by the Chinese company ByteDance. And as Rubio’s press release puts it, no Chinese company is truly private. This app has access to users’ cellphone locations, browsing data, and possibly create profiles of millions of Americans just based on their app interaction.

This post was edited by Web Diva at November 27, 2022 10:54 AM CST
    • 379 posts
    January 29, 2023 10:55 AM CST

I do have a Group discussion thread on TikTok, however, this was the original thread discussion on TikTok and the comments are still valid today and also good reading from the discussion above.

Link in Group Discussions:

https://friendsrealm.com/groups/topic/view/group_id/25/topic_id/84/post_id/154

I added this link in the Group Discussion above, and wanted to add it here because of the value of this discussion.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tiktok-ban-faces-obscure-hurdle-the-berman-amendments-11674964611