The One Kind Of Pie Plate That Pro Bakers Use To Prevent Soggy Bottoms

• 385 posts
    November 12, 2023 11:47 AM CST

I have never made a pie.  Something about making pies seems complicated.  My daughter makes amazing pies from scratch. I saved you time to see what they recommend and it's metal pans, but this article does give pro's and con's to several different types of material for baking pans or dishes.  Here's an article on better baking dishes.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jillwaldbieser/the-one-kind-of-pie-plate-that-pro-bakers-use-to-prevent?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

Metal Pans: The Best

Though they may appear plain, metal pie pans are the top choice of professional bakers.

“Metal pie pans are magical,” Clark-Bojin said. “They are the perfect conductors of heat. They handle temperature shocks like a champ. You can freeze them, you can throw them on a fire pit or BBQ grill, they won’t explode if you set them from the fridge to a hot pizza stone in the oven. They won’t crack or chip if they get knocked in transit.”

• 78 posts
    November 16, 2023 8:21 AM CST

I use my mom's recipe for pie crusts. Melt in your mouth awesome stuff. Trick is the ice water.Need a pic of your daughter's pie!

Soggy bottoms... never would want soggy bottoms... 

• 385 posts
    November 18, 2023 4:25 PM CST

Techi Jedi said: I use my mom's recipe for pie crusts. Melt in your mouth awesome stuff. Trick is the ice water.Need a pic of your daughter's pie! Soggy bottoms... never would want soggy bottoms... Somehow I think you are referring to more than soggy bottoms...lol....but yeah, never have soggy bottoms. Your mom's pie crust sounds amazing. Do you have some of her recipes? I've seen my mom use ice before, but I don't recall exactly why? I'll have dd post a pic of her recent pies. Matter of fact, I'm going to tag her right now lol!

This post was edited by Web Diva at November 22, 2023 7:58 PM CST
    • 22 posts
    November 21, 2023 10:19 AM CST

My Nan used to make the best apple and blackberry tart, tart is a pie isn't it? 

• 385 posts
    November 22, 2023 8:02 PM CST
    Mark Ransome said: My Nan used to make the best apple and blackberry tart, tart is a pie isn't it? Your Nan's apple and blackberry tarts must have been amazing. A tart is a pie or is a tart in the pie family but it's own category, but still a tart-pie? I shouldn't be typing late at night
    • 78 posts
    November 23, 2023 9:37 AM CST
    Web Diva said: Techi Jedi said: I use my mom's recipe for pie crusts. Melt in your mouth awesome stuff. Trick is the ice water.Need a pic of your daughter's pie! Soggy bottoms... never would want soggy bottoms... Somehow I think you are referring to more than soggy bottoms...lol....but yeah, never have soggy bottoms. Your mom's pie crust sounds amazing. Do you have some of her recipes? I've seen my mom use ice before, but I don't recall exactly why? I'll have dd post a pic of her recent pies. Matter of fact, I'm going to tag her right now lol! Ice water in the dough makes for a melt in your mouth crust. It's hard to make the crust as the dough sorta crumbles when rolling it but it's a great crust.
    • 78 posts
    November 23, 2023 9:38 AM CST
    Mark Ransome said: My Nan used to make the best apple and blackberry tart, tart is a pie isn't it? Yes, tart is awesome and a mini-pie. My mom used to use the leftover unbaked crust dough to make tarts. Loved those.
    • 385 posts
    November 25, 2023 3:33 PM CST

@Techi Jedi, during Thanksgiving dinner, we were actually talking about using ice in the crust and why.  I'll tag @Alexis Bello for her to share this reviting Thanksgiving chat topic.