Favorite Recipe Books - Taste of Home

• 78 posts
    July 20, 2022 4:07 PM CDT

I love the Taste of Home series of recipe books/magazines. Worth the subscription if you get it.

Pumpkin Bread recipe 

Ingredients

• 5 large eggs
    • 1-1/4 cups canola oil
    • 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 2 cups sugar
    • 2 packages (3 ounces each) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add oil and pumpkin; beat until smooth. Combine remaining ingredients; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture.
    2. Pour batter into five greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

Can you freeze Delicious Pumpkin Bread?

Securely wrap and freeze cooled loaves in plastic and foil. To use, thaw at room temperature.

Nutrition Facts

1 slice: 150 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 96mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.

• 383 posts
    July 20, 2022 5:24 PM CDT

Looks delicious!  I love pumpkin bread and pumpkin cake!  Yummmm!!

• 383 posts
    July 21, 2022 1:43 PM CDT

9 Helpful Cooking Tips Straight from Food Scientists

My favorite was #9 in soaking the berries to extend the life of your berries.

This post was edited by Web Diva at July 21, 2022 2:00 PM CDT
    • 383 posts
    July 23, 2022 12:27 PM CDT

I struggle with making meats tender and juicy.  I saw this article on how to make chicken tender and thought I'd share it.  Maybe it's the secret? 

How To Cook Moist & Tender Chicken Breasts Every Time

• 78 posts
    July 23, 2022 4:29 PM CDT

Did you find any at Taste of Home? This one is for thatThose are good though. 

• 383 posts
    July 23, 2022 9:55 PM CDT

I will look, thank you! I haven't made pork chops in 30 years because I just can't get it right. 

• 78 posts
    July 24, 2022 6:20 AM CDT

For pork chops, I generally get the no bone centers. I then put those in a baking dish with chicken breast (boneless/skinless) and put some worcestershire, a bit of garlic powder, a bit of lawry's seasoned salt. Not much on that salt. If you have Bell's Seasoning, omit the lawyr's and use that instead. Just dust it on them all. Bell's is great for this.

Cover in foil. Make sure that pan fits everything single layer, no overlapping.

Bake 350 til done. Doesn't take long to finish but it depends on your oven. 30 mins might be fine. These will cook in their own broth that generates during cooking. 

I do chicken with these as I'm not a big fan of pork chops. 

This post was edited by Techi Jedi at July 30, 2022 10:38 AM CDT
    • 383 posts
    July 24, 2022 10:27 AM CDT

This is new to me.  Does the chicken do something to keep the chops tender?  Remind me to tell you the real story why I haven't cooked chops in 30 years....:D

Do you use thin or thick pork chops? We are not fans of pork chops either because they are so hard to cook tender plus you have to make sure they are cooked because it's pork.  We do like pulled pork from a BBQ restaurant though.

• 383 posts
    July 25, 2022 9:45 AM CDT

Summer's at my house usually consist of a few watermelons.  I love kitchen tools that make your food slicing experience optimum and found this tool to slice watermelons on the Taste of Home website.

This $13 Tool Will Change the Way You Cut Watermelon

This post was edited by Web Diva at July 25, 2022 9:46 AM CDT
    • 383 posts
    August 20, 2022 2:51 PM CDT

This recipe looks delicious for Bourban Peach Jam from a Taste of Home.

I should add learning how to make jelly and jam for "things to do" so I can experience the whole amazing process. 

This post was edited by Web Diva at August 20, 2022 2:52 PM CDT
    • 78 posts
    August 21, 2022 8:13 AM CDT
    Web Diva said:

This is new to me.  Does the chicken do something to keep the chops tender?  Remind me to tell you the real story why I haven't cooked chops in 30 years....:D

Do you use thin or thick pork chops? We are not fans of pork chops either because they are so hard to cook tender plus you have to make sure they are cooked because it's pork.  We do like pulled pork from a BBQ restaurant though.

I think they baste each other basically. I use normal thickness (1/2 inch?).No idea why it works, but it usually comes out great.You'll need to tell me that pork chop story too. 

This post was edited by Web Diva at November 10, 2022 5:33 PM CST
    • 383 posts
    August 21, 2022 10:56 AM CDT
    Techi Jedi said:
    Web Diva said:

I think they baste each other basically. I use normal thickness (1/2 inch?).No idea why it works, but it usually comes out great.You'll need to tell me that pork chop story too. 

That makes sense that each meat would help to baste each other. 

A 30 plus year old story, just the highlight of it....I made pork chops and my peeps were less then civil (neanderthal) at the dining room table when cutting into the chops

This post was edited by Web Diva at November 10, 2022 5:34 PM CST