Family Recipe for Tomato Soup

• 78 posts
    July 8, 2022 9:12 AM CDT

Here's a recipe that my Aunt Carmen created. She is an awesome chef. See below the recipe for things I add to it.

Homemade Tomato Soup

Ingredients

• 1 Large can stewed or chopped tomatoes.
    • 1 Stick margarine
    • 2 Times the amount of water as tomatoes (use the can and fill it with water twice)
    • Salt and pepper to taste
    • 1 chopped onion (optional) (if you are adding the seasoning blend I mention below, don't add this onion)
    • Handful of egg shell pasta, uncooked
    • Handful of minute rice or normal rice, uncooked

Instructions:

In dutch oven (large pot with lid), add water, margarine, salt, pepper, and tomatoes. Simmer 10 - 15 minutes. **This is when I add the other seasonings from below **

If not adding the seasonings, add the onions if you're using them. Let this stay on a low simmer for about an hour. Add the pasta and rice. Simmer until both are cooked. 

Stuff I've added to mine

• Parsley and basil - go wild
    • 1 can tomato puree
    • one 10 oz bag frozen seasoning blend (celery, onion, sweet green and sweet red peppers) . You can use any frozen chopped blend. Or, you can use fresh veggies and let it cook longer.

This post was edited by Techi Jedi at July 8, 2022 10:49 AM CDT
    • 379 posts
    July 8, 2022 10:52 AM CDT

What a delicious and imaginative tomato soup recipe!  I love basil, my favorite spice and basil is so good in tomato soup.

Thank you for sharing your Aunt Carmen's recipe.

• 78 posts
    July 8, 2022 11:49 AM CDT

Basil is my fave too. We used to get sweet basil but I can't find that any more. Hope you can enjoy this soup.

• 379 posts
    July 9, 2022 12:12 PM CDT

I would have to look in my pantry at what basil I have.  I would assume it's regular basil.  Sweet basil sounds delicious!

I tend to favor Italian spices like Basil and Oregano.  So good on meats with a touch of olive oil drizzled across the meat for serving.

Holy Basil is a supplement that is really good if you need something to help you relax.

Basil is amazing!

• 379 posts
    February 7, 2023 6:38 PM CST

I thought I'd share what I'm doing tonight.  I'm cooking three meals, my daughter would call it meal prepping. I just made hamburgers, now I'm making chicken burgers, and by the way, I'm baking them instead of pan frying and if you haven't tried cooking burgers on a rack in the oven , might be worth a try for something different.  Next meal up, is chicken (bone in thigh and leg), sautéed with onions and lots of butter completed by stir-fried green beans.  Voila...or should I say Bon Appé***

This post was edited by Web Diva at February 7, 2023 6:39 PM CST
    • 379 posts
    February 7, 2023 6:40 PM CST

Ha, part of my french word was flagged by my censor words....