Weather Geek-Speak

• 379 posts
    June 6, 2022 12:56 PM CDT

Are you a weather geek? 

I'm a stormy-clear-weather-geek.

Let's talk weather geek-speak, from novices to guru's; welcome all!

• 78 posts
    June 13, 2022 2:56 PM CDT

well, weather, ok

I'm from Maine = cold, brrr

I'm in Georgia = hell, ouch

I've seen: Ice storms, freezing rain, heavy and light snow, thundersnow, hurricanes, severe thunderstorms, mud so think it took off my boot, snow so high it was up to the roof. 

I've been less than 5 miles from a tornado - yikes.

Been through floods. Not fun.

• 379 posts
    June 17, 2022 9:43 AM CDT
    Techi Jedi said:

well, weather, ok

I'm from Maine = cold, brrr

I'm in Georgia = hell, ouch

I've seen: Ice storms, freezing rain, heavy and light snow, thundersnow, hurricanes, severe thunderstorms, mud so think it took off my boot, snow so high it was up to the roof. 

I've been less than 5 miles from a tornado - yikes.

Been through floods. Not fun.

Maine is super cold!!  All of that snow   Georgia, hot, humid, stormy either from just regular weather passing through, or the culmination of hurricanes nearby or coming right in to your state!

I don't like freezing rain....thundersnow, now that's interesting when that happens.  You have been through a wide range of weather events, O.M.G.!!

I don't think there's anything you haven't experienced. 

We're starting to feel like the desert here.  No rain since May and even in May it was mild.  I just watched our future forecast for the summer and Texas is in that big red zone where it's not just above average in temperature "highs" but it's abnormally above average hot temps and to stay that way until August....sigh...It's oppressive to have all of this heat, hardly any clouds....I miss the rain.   When this happened in the summer of 2012, after three months without rain and severe drought conditions, when it finally rained, there were people all over their neighborhoods walking in the rain.  They were clearly happy and indulging in a simple moment of thankful for a turning point in our weather.

• 78 posts
    June 17, 2022 12:27 PM CDT

There are a few things I've not experienced and am in no rush to:

Typhoon

Volcano eruption

A friend in the Philippines has experienced both. Though I guess volcano doesn't qualify as weather.

Sorry to hear of your drought. Georgia was in a bad drought for a few years as well. Scary stuff.

• 379 posts
    June 17, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
    Techi Jedi said:

There are a few things I've not experienced and am in no rush to:

Typhoon

Volcano eruption

A friend in the Philippines has experienced both. Though I guess volcano doesn't qualify as weather.

Sorry to hear of your drought. Georgia was in a bad drought for a few years as well. Scary stuff.

Yeah, me neither...I've read a lot about how dangerous those typhoon's can be. The closets I've come to high winds were sustained winds of 60mph, which doesn't sound like much, but it's pretty damaging to fencing and trees.  That was the one storm I took cover in, with Alexis when she was little.  We did go to our laundry room with the dogs and just waited it out.  Our neighborhood had so much damage.  Huge trees were brought down and so were a lot of fences that were just gone.

You can almost hear the vulture's squawking above us from the sky as our area becomes more of a drought.  I'm glad to hear Georgia is getting some rain and not becoming drought-y like years ago.  Scary stuff indeed.

• 379 posts
    July 5, 2022 6:01 PM CDT

Really, really, really, really tired of this heat this summer!!