America's Albatross

• 39 posts
    May 31, 2022 11:44 PM CDT

Yes, good point....my worry now lays on my Dad. They were married for 65+ years.  Always at each other's side, no BS.  When we Zoom now he seems like he's only half there.  One of my sisters hosts the chat twice a week.  I hope he'll be okay....

• 379 posts
    June 13, 2022 6:50 PM CDT
    zoldos Ren said:

Yes, good point....my worry now lays on my Dad. They were married for 65+ years.  Always at each other's side, no BS.  When we Zoom now he seems like he's only half there.  One of my sisters hosts the chat twice a week.  I hope he'll be okay....

I'm sorry, that must worry you a great deal.  Sixty-five years is a life time to be married.  He must feel so empty with out your mom. I'm glad he can zoom with you and you can check on him that way. A lot of people aren't able to technically figure that out, at least he can and you can keep up with his overall well-being. 

• 39 posts
    June 18, 2022 4:50 AM CDT

I appreciate the support!  He is in pretty good heatlh for an 86 y/o.  If you saw him, you'd swear he was in his 60's!

• 379 posts
    June 18, 2022 8:44 AM CDT
    zoldos Ren said:

I appreciate the support!  He is in pretty good health for an 86 y/o.  If you saw him, you'd swear he was in his 60's!

That's wonderful!!  There are not too many people in their late 80's that get around very well and it's nice that your dad is the exception and doing great.  He must stay busy and active, both physically and mentally.

• 39 posts
    June 20, 2022 11:03 AM CDT
    Tiffany Bello said:

That's wonderful!!  There are not too many people in their late 80's that get around very well and it's nice that your dad is the exception and doing great.  He must stay busy and active, both physically and mentally.

Oh yes, definitely.  He certainly has all his mental attributes, he's very intelligent, and likes to engage.  So that's cool!

He works out as well.  My older brother (52) lives with him and helps take care of him....

• 379 posts
    June 20, 2022 12:23 PM CDT
    zoldos Ren said:
    Tiffany Bello said:

Oh yes, definitely.  He certainly has all his mental attributes, he's very intelligent, and likes to engage.  So that's cool!

He works out as well.  My older brother (52) lives with him and helps take care of him....

That's so great that your older brother is taking care of your dad.  There's not enough of that in America, where families take care of their elders. That's helpful to your dad to not be alone too.  He can engage and interact on a social level, rather then so many older American's are alone and are just sitting in front of the TV.  Have you asked him what his secret is to longevity and keeping mentally healthy.  I'm always interested to learn success health stories like your dads.

• 379 posts
    June 23, 2022 4:18 PM CDT

When Will the Supreme Court Issue Its Ruling on Abortion?

I know this is a sensitive, personal, and polarizing issue.  Everyone has their opinions and are entitled to their opinions.  Whatever happens when the Supreme Court announces their ruling, I believe as many, that American's can do better in processing this issue through constructive debate rather then violent rioting. 

I also want to add, that this ruling is also about giving back state rights to legislators (that are elected by us) to determine what laws are appropriate for the state.

• 379 posts
    June 24, 2022 10:53 AM CDT

SCOTUS ruled today on abortion from the Mississippi case of Dobb's v Jackson, removing Federal abortion protections (now back to the state level) and giving back to the states legislators to determine laws for either banning or legalizing abortions or laws with both.  Authority is now returned to the people and their elected representatives (legislators) to determine abortion laws. 

• 39 posts
    June 25, 2022 5:52 AM CDT
    Tiffany Bello said:
    zoldos Ren said:
    Tiffany Bello said:

That's so great that your older brother is taking care of your dad.  There's not enough of that in America, where families take care of their elders. That's helpful to your dad to not be alone too.  He can engage and interact on a social level, rather then so many older American's are alone and are just sitting in front of the TV.  Have you asked him what his secret is to longevity and keeping mentally healthy.  I'm always interested to learn success health stories like your dads.

He's just led an active life and always kept busy!

• 379 posts
    July 8, 2022 4:16 PM CDT

Executive Branch Executive Orders have concerned me for years, by both party president's. They are to be used during profound emergencies. I am profoundly worried about the balance of America's branches of government: executive,  judicial and legislative. All three branches were created so one branch does not usurp power over another. I see an egregious amount of power used by executive orders.

• 39 posts
    July 19, 2022 8:05 PM CDT

I'm very disappointed with the Supreme Court.  And I don't feel bad at all for all the backlash they now must endure...

• 379 posts
    July 20, 2022 8:17 AM CDT

Our judicial branch is indeed in trouble. 

• 39 posts
    July 26, 2022 6:12 PM CDT

What's next, ban birth control for women?  Ban women getting sterilized?  Heather said sterilization of women is increasing!!

• 379 posts
    July 26, 2022 6:57 PM CDT

My body, my choice does have a profound meaning, and I'd apply that to any circumstance.  State governments need come up with sensible choices that include safety, and human kindness.  I did not know women were choosing sterilization.

• 379 posts
    August 3, 2022 8:32 AM CDT

Kansas voters resoundingly protect their access to abortion

Lots of election results from yesterday primaries, nationwide.  Kansas voters voted to protect abortion laws in their state.

• 379 posts
    August 3, 2022 2:33 PM CDT

There are a lot of woman on methotrexate for autoimmune diseases. Now they are being denied this medication in states like Texas and other states with anti-abortion laws for those in your child bearing years because it may cause a spontaneous abortion.

Women with chronic conditions struggle to find medications after abortion laws limit access

• 39 posts
    August 11, 2022 3:51 AM CDT
    Mrs T said:

There are a lot of woman on methotrexate for autoimmune diseases. Now they are being denied this medication in states like Texas and other states with anti-abortion laws for those in your child bearing years because it may cause a spontaneous abortion.

Women with chronic conditions struggle to find medications after abortion laws limit access

Are you freaking kidding me?  OMG

• 379 posts
    August 11, 2022 8:57 AM CDT
    zoldos Ren said:
    Mrs T said:

Are you freaking kidding me?  OMG

Seriously, draconian.

• 379 posts
    November 9, 2022 11:44 AM CST

This is the one area, I believe the Republican's in the mid-term election missed the messaging on this issue.

Abortion rights advocates score major midterm victories across the country

Voters across the country delivered a series of decisive victories for abortion rights on Tuesday in the first nationwide election since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in June.

The biggest surprise came in Republican-leaning Kentucky, where an antiabortion amendment was defeated, clearing a potential path for abortion access to be restored in a state with one of the country’s most restrictive bans.

This post was edited by Web Diva at November 9, 2022 11:44 AM CST
    • 39 posts
    November 20, 2022 10:07 PM CST

I've completely given up on the competency of our government. Esp. after hearing that Trump is apparently allowed to run again in 2024 after his train wreck presidency and multiple indictments.

• 379 posts
    November 21, 2022 10:52 AM CST
    zoldos Ren said:

I've completely given up on the competency of our government. Esp. after hearing that Trump is apparently allowed to run again in 2024 after his train wreck presidency and multiple indictments.

Agreed, @zolos ren,  I don't think Trump has much support even from his most loyal:

2024 Republican rivals put Trump on notice

I really don't see how he can pull this off; he's becoming kryptonite.

This post was edited by Web Diva at November 21, 2022 10:52 AM CST
    • 379 posts
    • 379 posts
    April 18, 2023 1:31 PM CDT

More recent news on the very difficult conversation about abortion.

Access to abortion pill in limbo after competing rulings.

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-pill-lawsuit-mifepristone-misoprostol-kacsmaryk-74cb1c4cfab2c04f6cf2696151bc86ef

FILE - Boxes of the drug mifepristone sit on a shelf at the West Alabama Women's Center in Tuscaloosa, Ala., March 16, 2022. A federal judge in Texas on Friday, April 7, 2023, ordered a hold on the U.S. approval of the abortion medication mifepristone, throwing into question access to the nation’s most common method of abortion in a ruling that waved aside decades of scientific approval. Federal lawyers representing the FDA are expected to swiftly appeal the ruling. (AP Photo/Allen G. Breed, File)

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Access to the most commonly used method of abortion in the U.S. plunged into uncertainty Friday following conflicting court rulings over the legality of the abortion medication mifepristone that has been widely available for more than 20 years.

For now, the drug the Food and Drug Administration approved in 2000 appeared to remain at least immediately available in the wake of two separate rulings that were issued in quick succession by federal judges in Texas and Washington.

U.S. District Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk, a Trump appointee, ordered a hold on federal approval of mifepristone in a decision that overruled decades of scientific approval. But that decision came at nearly the same time that U.S. District Judge Thomas O. Rice, an Obama appointee, essentially ordered the opposite and directed U.S. authorities not to make any changes that would restrict access to the drug in at least 17 states where Democrats sued in an effort to protect availability.